Friday, March 31, 2006

2 John Does From Across the Country Team Up to Fight Back Against RIAA in Warner v. Does 1-149

Two "John Does", one from the Southwest, the other from the Greater New York area, have joined forces to fight back against the RIAA in Warner v. Does 1-149.

What they have in common is that both discovered recently that they are named as "John Does" in the same case pending in Manhattan federal court.

In September, 2005, the RIAA brought one of their typical John Doe cases, in Manhattan federal court, Warner Bros. Records v. Does 1-149.

Complaint.*

The case was first assigned to Judge John G. Koeltl, who recused himself.

The case was then reassigned to Judge Alvin K. Hellerstein, who likewise recused himself.

Then the case was reassigned to Judge Richard Owen, who granted the RIAA's "ex parte" applications for discovery, and authorized subpoenas to be served on the internet service provider Time Warner Cable.

Ex Parte Order.*
Second Ex Parte Order.*

The subpoena is returnable Monday, April 3rd.

John Doe #37 and John Doe #61 have both hired Ty Rogers and Ray Beckerman of Beldock Levine & Hoffman LLP to make a motion to (a) vacate the ex parte discovery orders, (b) quash any subpoenas issued under the orders, and (c) sever and dismiss the action as to John Does 2-149.

John Does' Notice of Motion*
Affidavit of Morlan Ty Rogers in Support of Motion*
Affidavit of Zi Mei in Support of Motion*
Memorandum of Law in Support of Motion*

John Does 37 and 61 have asked Judge Owen for a stay of the ex parte order and subpoena pending determination of their motion, since the turning over of their identities before the motion is decided would moot the motion.

March 31, 2006, Letter of Morlan Ty Rogers Requesting Stay

The RIAA agrees to a stay, but argues that the stay should only apply to the moving defendants and not to the other 147 defendants.

March 31, 2006, Letter of J. Christopher Jensen Opposing Stay as to Other 147 Defendants



Ray Beckerman, the author of this blog and one of the attorneys for the moving parties, had this comment:

It is a matter of great significance that two different John Does have teamed up in the same case. This cuts the legal costs to each litigant by half, thus reducing the overall economic balance which ordinarily inheres in these cases. I hope this presages a new trend: people banding together to fight back. The old adage 'united we stand, divided we fall', is very important in the war against the RIAA's litigation machine.


* Document available online at Internet Law & Regulation

Keywords: copyright download upload peer to peer p2p file sharing filesharing music movies indie label freeculture creative commons pop/rock artists riaa independent mp3 cd favorite songs

5 comments:

CodeWarrior said...

Why did Judge John G. Koeltl and Judge Alvin K. Hellerstein, recuse themselves in this matter?

It seems unusual for TWO judges to serially recuse themselves in this manner (i.e. unusual to me as a layperson).
~Code

raybeckerman said...

I wonder myself, Code.

Don't know.

It is unusual for 2 judges to serially recuse themselves in this manner.

Not at all unusual, however, for them to be silent as to the reason for recusal.

One possible reason for such recusals is that the judge owns stock in one or more of the corporations -- but I would think that most federal judges keep their assets in non-stock types of investments, or in blind trusts.

So it's a mystery.

Judge Owen, by the way, is a music-oriented guy. He writes operettas, I believe.

raybeckerman said...

Dear lawdawg,

1. The RIAA companies aren't composers. They don't own the copyrights in the songs. Just the copyrights in the sound recordings.

2. Judge Owen would only have a financial interest if he were a performer on sound recordings. Even then, the interest would only be theoretical, as it is quite rare for a performer of a sound recording to actually be getting royalties from the sound recordings beyond his or her initial advance, due to the structure of recording agreements, which provide that the record company has to "recoup" a lot of actual expenses plus a lot of mythical "expenses" before the performing artist sees dollar one.

Anonymous said...

Since I was young I always had an ambition to become wealthy. This was not just for the sake of being wealthy, but because I saw what a struggle money was for so many people around me.

The Internet Marketing Genius, Carael Knight

Not knowing where to start on actually making money, I went to college and got a Business Degree. After graduation, I went straight into working in the financial industry only to find that I did not like putting in long hours even for the substantial starting salary.

Who Wants To Be A Internet Millionaire

I know most people would've been happy with what I was making, but the truth is that I had no free time. To me having my time was more important then having more money. I knew there had to be a way to have both so I started looking for other ventures outside of the traditional workforce.

I tried several different things and ended up making the most on eBay. I juggled my full time job and eBay for nearly a year until I was making enough online to quit my job and pay my bills.

I started to live the life. eBay was growing and actually started to make me more money then what I had been making at my "professional" job.

The Internet Marketing Genius, Carael Knight

Tip:

Most "Real" home based online money making businesses has to have "Proof of Earnings" to back up what they say right? Well...............

See My Earnings Here!

I don't just "talk the talk", I "walk the walk" and can back up everything that I'm telling you. Look at it this way, if you make "ONLY" a measely $274 a day, that about $100,000 a year! Think about it.

The Internet Marketing Genius, Carael Knight

$274 A Day = $100,000 A Year

I don't know about you, but this is amazing to me when you really think about it!

If the truth be told I should be selling this system for hundreds of dollars because of how confident I am with this manual. Initially I offered it for $299 and was able to sell the program very successfully.....................

Who Wants To Be A Internet Millionaire

Anonymous said...

I recently stumbled on on a powerful money making manual of how a disabled mother of the U.S. Army Went From $0 - $12,000 / Month in 4 Months Flat! She knows here stuff. I bought the manual myself and it has helped me increase my sales ratio by 500 percent!

Carael Knight

Holly Mann shares with you a money-making secret that made $100 within two hours of implementing it. It really is a powerful method. It's a different way to make money online - costs you nothing in advertising and would not be considered "work." You will be surprised how easy it is.

SEE EARNINGS HERE

For those of you who do NOT have a website, she provides detailed information telling you exactly how to make money through affiliate programs with no site, no advertising costs and very little "work." It's something you could profit from by putting in only an hour to two hours per day - and you can start making money with these techniques right NOW.

Do you want a Professionally Designed, FREE website right away so you can pull in even more money? If you would like to have a website but aren't experienced with designing and maintaining sites and all else that is involved, she tell you exactly how to get a FREE website setup within 5 minutes with NO costs whatsoever. Plus, you never have to pay for hosting and you don't need any real web design experience.

Also, for the advanced internet gurus and entrepreneurs - you will increase your earnings after you read this e-book, "guaranteed". You will discover new ways to increase your revenue like I did and many other different techniques that you never thought of trying. Her strategies are proven successful and are highly profitable.

Carael Knight

You don't have to spend a dime on advertising anymore. Keep 100% profits. Not only is it possible (also, see proven success stories......) but it is feasible if you follow the steps in her manual. She provides more detailed information about different money making techniques with and without a website and low-cost and FREE advertising and site promotion.

The Internet Marketing Genius, Carael Knight

She also provides a DETAILED guide to Search Engine Optimization - What to do and how to do it - giving you the exact information about how to get ALL of your websites to the top 5 position of EVERY search engine! I've also noticed that EVERY SINGLE website she have optimized for her specific keywords has reached the top 1-5 ranking - EVERY ONE TO THIS DAY!!! SEO is the single most important tool in making money online because without site visitors - your internet venture is worthless.

She will share the secret to how she doubled her website's revenue within a month by implementing a search engine positioning technique (which only took three hours to do). And she will tell YOU exactly how you can do it too.

Make Money Online