Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Letters Exchanged in UMG v. Lindor Between RIAA Lawyer and Lawyer for Ms. Lindor's Son

Subsequent to the March 26th oral argument in UMG v. Lindor over the RIAA's motion to compel Ms. Lindor's son, who lives 4 miles away from her, and is not a party to the action, to turn over his computer, the RIAA lawyer sent a letter to Magistrate Levy. Mr. Raymond's attorney, Richard A. Altman, questioned the motivations of the RIAA lawyer in sending the letter:

March 27, 2007, Letter of Richard L. Gabriel to Magistrate Levy*
March 27, 2007, Letter of Richard A. Altman to Magistrate Levy*

* Document published online at Internet Law & Regulation

Keywords: digital copyright online download upload peer to peer p2p file sharing filesharing music movies indie label freeculture creative commons pop/rock artists riaa independent mp3 cd favorite songs

Add to Technorati Favorites

4 comments:

Alter_Fritz said...

well, if I were Judge Levy, I wouldn't characterize the letter by RIAA lead counsel as "unctuous flattery" (I had to look up the translation)

If I were the judge i would more think of it in a way like: "Hell, did this RIAA guy think I'm an Idiot? I can read myself, and i'm well aware what the motion said! I have it in front of me.
Who the hell designated this clown to National lead counsel for plaintiffs that clogg up my whole court calender and why wasn't he smart enough to express his concernes when he had the time to on monday? What a douchebag"

raybeckerman said...

ok, alter_fritz, i'll let you know if there are any judicial vacancies opening up in that court....

AMD FanBoi said...

Looks like Gabriel is a real jerk, and Altman is simply pointing it out to anyone who missed it the first time around.

John Newlin said...

Seems like Mr Gabriel realized he made a small error during the oral arguments, and wants a second chance. Waaaah.