Monday, September 22, 2008

Class action against Kazaa, Lewan v. Sharman, quietly settled last year

We have recently learned that the class action which had been commenced in Chicago, in 2006, against Kazaa, Lewan v. Sharman, was quietly settled, last Fall, in an off-the-record settlement.

Docket Entry indicating case had been settled

Commentary & discussion:

p2pnet.net



Keywords: lawyer digital copyright law online internet law legal download upload peer to peer p2p file sharing filesharing music movies indie independent label freeculture creative commons pop/rock artists riaa independent mp3 cd favorite songs intellectual property portable music player

2 comments:

Lior said...

Does a dismissal with prejudice of a class action affect the rights of other class members to file their own class action lawsuit?

Anonymous said...

What ever happened with the class action as I was never notified. I am 66 years old and have worked and paid for everything for the past 49 years if my life and I get slapped with this. These people have made my life miserable by freezing all of my bank accounts, seizing my monies, and caring less about the predicaments this has placed people in. I've been legally purchasing my music since 8-tracks, something many of these top executives know nothing about. I would like to know the statute of limitations on appealing a judgement. I can't afford legal fees but I would certainly like to file a class action lawsuit in south Texas if there is still time to do so. It brings tears to my eyes every time I'm greeted by an individual outside the supermarket soliciting "burned" CD's and selling movies that are either still at the theaters or haven't made it yet and they are living their lives doing just fine!!! I as well as many others affected by RIAA's tactics are scrounging to put a meal on the table. It's not fair! I didn't profit from any of this mess but we have to pay for the ones who ARE!!! Please reply and let me know if there is anything I might be able to do at this point besides initiating a copyright task force in my community to pay off this erroneous judgement?

Signed by: the PREY'