Monday, August 13, 2007

Joan Cassin Files Reply Memorandum in Support of Motion to Dismiss Complaint

Defendant Joan Cassin has filed her reply memorandum of law in further support of her motion to dismiss complaint, in Warner v. Cassin, responding to the opposition memorandum of the RIAA.

Defendant's Reply Memorandum of Law in Support of Motion to Dismiss Complaint*

* Document published online at Internet Law & Regulation

Keywords: digital copyright online law legal download upload peer to peer p2p file sharing filesharing music movies indie independent label freeculture creative commons pop/rock artists riaa independent mp3 cd favorite songs

6 comments:

Jadeic said...

Another exemplary masterpiece from the Beckerman pen. Furthermore the arguments are, if this is possible, becoming ever more concise and, dare I say, irrefutable.

raybeckerman said...

Thanks, jadeic. I had a lot more to say but the judge's rules limit reply briefs to 10 pages.

The defendant's argument is legally irrefutable. But you never know what will happen. We just have to wait and hope Judge Robinson does the right thing.

iaw4 said...

By the RIAA logic, every library in the world is making material available for checkout, and thus facilitating illegal copying. Even a computer-illiterate judge should understand this argument.

geofb said...

Missing word?
Page 5, line 3:
"(a) no authority at on the"

Should this be "at all on" ?

Unknown said...

Hey, I think you're awesome and everything - I just wanted to point something out, though, and I don't immediately see any other place to do so. The link you have to the Weird Al song has some cross-site scripting (javascript) from SonyBMG.com . I am no expert in such scripts, but I know what Sony likes to do to 'protect' music (rootkits!?) and I know that javascript can be abused for many, many purposes.... Just thought I would point it out to you somewhere. Keep on being awesome, and I love your blog, too, by the way!

raybeckerman said...

Dear casper

Thanks for the heads up. Now what should I do about it?