Wednesday, April 23, 2008

One Man's First Hand Account of Being Put Through Hell by the RIAA

An RIAA troll recently visited the site and left an asinine comment on this April 14, 2006, post, causing me to re-read the initial post. I found it very moving, and reprint it here in its entirety.
***********************************************************************************
I received this email from a reader in Pennsylvania. I reproduce it here because I think it captures the torture and anxiety that so many Americans are facing due to the out of control litigation campaign of the RIAA.
-R.B.

I am being sued by the RIAA for copyright infringement, and the case has been going on for the past 2 years.

So far they have deposed all 5 of my children, and my wife, and myself. I also had to fill out admissions and interrogatory answers twice so far and they are still not satisfied with my answers. Most of them I answered that I did not know. I did not know, and was completely unaware of whatever the RIAA is claiming happened. My responses were honest, but that was not good enough for them.

I am defending myself in this case because I can't afford a lawyer, and it's hard for me to understand all of the paperwork and the rules of the court. The RIAA is on its 6th different group of lawyers. It seems like they are bottom feeders.

I was just in court in Philadelphia with the RIAA's Philadelphia representative.

I had been called into court by the judge, Judge Cynthia Rufe, because I had not responded to the RIAA's second motion to compel even more discovery.

The judge gave me additional time to send in the paperwork, and stated that she intends to set up a trial date sometime in May.

The real shame is that I had no knowledge of any of this until I was served in the mail. Apparently my daughter who was 12 years old at the time had been listening to music on Kazaa

I do not even know how it got on the computer.

I know that I didn't do anything wrong and I am going to defend myself, but I'm scared to death of the outcome.

.....................

Sincerely



Keywords: digital copyright law online internet law legal download upload peer to peer p2p file sharing filesharing music movies indie independent label freeculture creative commons pop/rock artists riaa independent mp3 cd favorite songs intellectual property

6 comments:

Alter_Fritz said...

you mean that guy did actually went so far back to this original post (+) and commented there nearly 2 years after you published that blog entry originally?

wow, while we don't see the "troll psot" though, THAT is really sick if it was intentionally done on such an old post.
Could it be for some new court filing they wanted to cite your blog in they needed to visit it more timely than the last time where the lawyer simply lied as to when he has last time checked/read an entry he claimed to be there that simply wasn't anymore for long time!

(+) http://recordingindustryvspeople.blogspot.com/2006/04/one-mans-first-hand-account-of-being.html

raybeckerman said...

I don't know why they did it.

I don't have the ability to get inside the heads of people who make their living suing children.

raybeckerman said...

john, thanks for catching my error.....

Anonymous said...

Ray,
What did the troll say?

db

John said...

My pleasure. :P

raybeckerman said...

db, it was an offtopic criticism of the values of my blog...